F150 CLUTCH

1915 Ford F-150

Just put new motor in 1998 f-150 4.2 manual trans truck. 100k miles. Kept the original clutch becuase it had plently of life left on it. When I bled the system the pedal disengages the clutch but really low to the floor instead of higher up like it use to. I'm thinking the master cyclendar got damaged during the motor change. Also lost the original resovior cap replaced with on that don't fit quite right until I can locate a proper one. Any ideas on the source of the problem?
Palico

Get the correct cap and keep bleeding the system

Lovescars
I got the correct cap and bleed rebleed the system multiple times. I still had a low but functional pedal. When I test drove the truck to see if it was good enough to take to shop to try a bleed with better equimpment. I got alot of slippage in the clutch. It will run good for a while then lunge. Letting go of the gas pedal seems to correct the problem. At least enough for me to get back home. I inspected the system as an assiatant pressed the pedal and it seems to be moving forward but just take a long stroke to get to the clutch spring plate. The clutch and spring plate looked fine when they where removed. I also got a bit of smoke from around the transmisioon area after the test run. I thought it may have been due to the debris burning off the catlitic converters. (Since they had been removed for quite some time) Thinking now the srping plate or clutch itself must be bad. Maybe I installed it backwards? I check it several time to make sure not to do that but maybe?

Any ideas with the new information?

Palico
From the sounds of it you cooked the disc. It should never smoke.

Lovescars
Any idea on what would have caused a good disc to go just like that?

Palico
Not bleeding the system well or contamination(oil grease).
With a clutch you replace everything and do it professionally the first time. Ford clutches are a pisser to bleed

Lovescars