F150 BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT

2004 Ford F-150

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2004 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 87515 miles

This is a 2004 Heritage, Had new tires put on it last week, took it out on the interstate ( 70-75 mph) and noticed that the truck had a shimmy, the truck body not in the steering. Took back to the tire store and they rebalanced the rear tires (both were off 1 to 1.5 oz.) Took for test drive and shimmy still there. Went back to store they supposidly took a look at it and determined that the lower ball joints were bad. Being a good mechanic but little knowledge about suspension is there a way for me to test the ball joints to tell if they are really bad. They wanted $327.00 to replace both lower ones, I can purchase both at NAPA for $61.50 and my labor.

Your thoughts please?

Thanks, John Izzo
Jhn1220

Did the problem occur before the new tires? What condition were the old ones in?

To check the ball joints you have to jack up vehicle and remove pressure from the ball joints then move them. If you see play they are bad. Make sure its in the ball joitns not the wheel bearing.

Blackop555
Thank you for the quick reply, the tires that were on the truck previously were not in great shape but I did not have the shimmy with them. They told me that the old tires wore in with the ball joint as they went bad (approx 50,000 miles on the old ones). It definetly feels like it is comming from the drivers side front tire, I had to have the bearings replaced on that side approx 10,000 miles ago. The drivers side front tire hums a lot louder than the rest of them to the point that you can tell the noise is comming from there. I'm thinking that its the bearings again. Is there any way of testing both the ball joint & bearings to see which one is bad or should I just replace all.

Again thanks for your help, John Izzo

Jhn1220
Jack it up and check.
Move tire top in and bottom out and bottom in and top out shaking it. Check for play.

Is it at wheel bearings or at the ball joints.

Blackop555