F150 4 WHEEL DRIVE DOES'NT LOCK IN

2004 Ford F-150

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2004 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

When trying to use the 4 wheel drive, I push the 4 wheel button I can hear grinding noise trying to engage the 4 wheel drive. It ground the spindle out on one hub and I had to replace it. Both sides in front won't engage now. I can hear noise like it is trying but no luck. Did Ford have problem's with this? What's the fix?
Cfree3

If you have the automatic locking hubs on the front, that is the problem. And, yes it is a common problem. What I recommend is replace both with manual locking hubs. When winter comes, just lock them in and put it in 2wd under good conditions. If the snow flies and you need 4wd, turn the 4wd button inside and the hubs will already be ready to go.

The idea with the manual hubs is my personal choice; however, that is up to you. If you want to try, remove the auto hubs, clean them really good and repack them. They may work again for awhile.