F150 F150 STALLING WHEN PUT IN GEAR

2001 Ford F-150

2001 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 88,000 miles

My truck idles fine but stalls or nearly stalls when I put it in gear. I can occasionally get it to avoid the stall if when I put it in reverse with my foot off the brake. It will shudder and then start going normally. I can also get it to go in either gear if I get on the accelerator as I put it into gear.

Once moving, it will surge and shudder as it nears a stop and if it doesn't stall it will seem to idle fine (in gear).

There is no CEL/MIL.

I replaced the DPFE valve because of a CEL last year.

I also removed the vacuum line from the EGR and applied vacuum directly to the EGR with the truck idling in park, which resulted in the engine stumbling.

If the truck is off and in gear I am able to roll it forward and back by hand, so the torque converter doesn't SEEM to be locked up.

Please help.

Thank you,
Aaron
Abreitbach

Clutch in torque convertor would have been one of the first things I would have said but.

1- check fluid in transmission at hot idle, if not full, refill till full. Sometimes if underfull, it will cause clutch to engage

2- check for leak around PCV vacuum tube from intake to PCV. Known issue and will cause the stumble etc you describe due to it splitting a hole in it.

3 does it buck under load? These things had issues with the coil packs that won't set mil lights

Mjr346