F150 4WD WILL NOT ENGAGE

2001 Ford F-150

2001 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 96000 miles

I just bought my truck from up north and it was used to push snow. It has lot of rust under neath. It has automatic 4WD on the dash. When put in 4WD I can hear and feel something happen or try to happen but the front does not engage. The light on the dash states it is in 4WD but it is not. The guy I bought it from says it may be a electric connection at the front axe. He told me to clean it and it should work. I do not know where or what he is talking about. Is this possible and if so where is this connection? Thank you for any help you can give with this problem.L
Cowebb1

THe front axle is actuated by electric or vacuum. If the truck has auto 4wd, it will be electric. On the front axle, you will see an electrical plug that goes to the actuator. Unplug it and make sure the terminals are not corroded or broken.

Let me know what you find.

PS: When I say auto 4wd, that means the 4wd engaged automatically when the rear tires spin. Most of the trucks had to be put into 4wd with a switch.