F150 PO171 CODE

1997 Ford F-150

1997 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 63,000 miles

i need help with this code I know its a lean issue on bank 1 but what r the steps to eliminate things I already tried replacing the intake( plentum) gasket what else can I do? I dont have much money to keep replacing all these parts. The engine blew going 75 in cruize control so I replaced it with same thing. Now it is doing same thing. Iam going out to the garage to clean the maf sensor and check the crankcase vent tube, where is that on this engine? If some 1 can help me solve this problem I will donate whatever u want well almost anything u know what I mean. There is also a long metal tube the diameter of a nickel behind engine going down to the ground well I ft from ground that is not connected to anything and it is not the transmissin dipstick tube but runs along real close to it
Miamiii13

Hello

To help us better assist you could you please list the engine size? 4.2L, 4.6L, 5.4L etc?

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

This is a 4.6 engine vin code w

Miamiii13

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_292.jpg

Let me know if you need the next step of diagnostic procedures..

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!

I had to use a pry bar on the egr valve to get it to lalign to the two mounting holes for the bolts to go on and crushed the top of egr valve would that affect its operationand if im right the egr valve is the tube from side of carb so to speak to the exhaust manifold on bank 2 side correct?

Miamiii13
How di check for vacume leaks and ca u answer some of the other questions in the paragraph plz ty so much I will try the opts u gave first then i'll ask for more help and plz look 4 me on here to keep me in check and in your mind thx

Miamiii13
Sorry about that.. The PCV valve is located under thehood, center upper engine area, top of engine, mounted in passenger side valve cover. To check out your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system, perform following procedures..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_293.jpg

If any step here leads you to an additional step not posted just let me know and I will get those to you as well..

As for the tube not connected, where is the top end connected? Was this noticed when replacing engine? Perhaps it was forgotten about when replacing the engine or it may just be a drain tube for ventilation tube for some component. Without a picture or more detailed location I am really unsure about it..

To check for vacuum leaks, spray something such as carb ceaner on all vacuum hoses and listen for the RPM's to change. If the RPM changes then you know there is a leak in that spot. Do this to all hoses and visually inspect them for damage/kinks..

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!

Ok now how bout egr thing I asked if it is dented in a bit will that cause it to not operate properly? What does the egr do? Can that be the problem? Also I did just replace the pcv in valve cover and now it sounds like I have a engine knock really loud. I did nt replace with oem or adequit part just saw one that looked like it and used that. Is that normal?

Miamiii13
I replaced my old engine with a 2000 mercury grand marquis engine. I had to change the intake(plentum) and the injectors and use my 2 coil packs instead of the coil paks on the spark plug itself. Cuz of the intake wouldn't match up to the air intakei had for my truck. Is that ok also. What a head ache I have so sick of this. The other engine was doin the same thing then the engine blew 2 cylinders, bent and destroyed 2 spark plugs ruined a coil pak and bent and ruined the lifters well the lash adjusters. I need help so bad. I will try all the things u sugested tomorrow morn and will be looking forward to your answers to my next questions tomorrow morning or mid day sometime.
Thx again u r a savior to me if this all works without replacing all the sensors and other related parts until im broke

Miamiii13
Pic of EGR valve is below.. it will be ok dented as long as it isn't a huge denting that is smashed it together top and bottom..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_1_17.jpg

No anytime you have an engine knock something is not right. Are you sure you replaced it properly? I always recommend OEM parts but I wouldn't think a different brand part would cause an engine knock..

The intake will be fine.

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!

Ok well egr is dented at the top of it where the smallest circle part of it and the pcv valve is knocking when installed stops knocking when I take it out of valve cover and engine bogs maybei should just replace the egr as a precaution and who knows maybe it will be the problem

Miamiii13