F150 BATTERY DRAINING WHILE TRUCK IS OFF

1997 Ford F-150

1997 Ford F150 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 145600 miles

there are a number of electrical issues, but I think they are all connected. First the driver side window chooses when it wants to roll down, but always rols up. Second, the 4-wheel drive light " clicks" on and off while the car is running or not. Third the buzzer goes off whether the key is in the ignition or not. Finally, when the truck is off( without key in the ignition) the battery drains. It will take a jump and start every time. I have started disconnecting the positive terminal on the battery and when I reconnect it the truck will start with no problem. There is a leak in the windshield that I believe may be getting into the fuse panel. Can this be my problem?
Cadear

A test light will help you trace down this problem. Usually I always recommend meters but a test light is much easier to work with for the battery drain problem. It sounds like your ignition portion of the electrical circuit or accessory circuit is staying active after the key is removed. I would suspect the column key switch or some modification to the electrical wiring by a previous owner. I would be surprised if the leak would cause this issue because water does conduct, but it's a great conductor. To start tracing your issue you need to disconnect the battery and have the vehicle like you leave it at night. Place one side of the test light on your disconnected battery wire, and the other on the battery post. (Lights have no polarity so it doesn't matter which side goes on the post.) This will complete the connection and if you have electricity flowing through it, the light will illuminate.
Next I would take fuses from the fuse box, taking note of what goes where so you can replace them. Keep removing fuses until the light goes out. This should put a direction to your search. If you can find a place to disconnect it, you might try unplugging the column key switch to verify that it is turning off when the key is able to come out.

Jwolff