F150 IGNITION SWITCH/STEERING COLUMN

1989 Ford F-150

1989 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100k+ miles

What is the trick to removing the covers on the upper steering column to access the internal ign switch components. When I turn the key the dash lights usually come on and then the starter does not engage when the key is rotated to the start position. The vehicle will start if the solenoid is jumpered so I believe the prob lem is in the column. Can you help me out?
Dwb812

What size engine do you have?Also do you have a test light if you do I will help you trace down the problem.

Yes Louie, I have a test light and I also have a Fluke multi meter. I replaced the switch on the lower column and I still have no voltage at the solenoid from the switch. If I jump 12v to the small top terminal on the solenoid the starter spins so I suspect a problem between the ignition switch and the solenoid. I don't have a great deal of experience with Fords so I dont know the circuitry well enough to wing it without a wiring diagram. I hate to buy a book for this one repair. I'm trying to help out someone else. Any helpful tips you could throw my way would be appreciated.

Dwb812
Alright tell me what size engine the truck has and I will get you a wire diagram and tell you which wire's to check.

It's a Ford 5.0 EFI. Sorry, I forgot to include that last time.

Dwb812

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/416332_1989_ford_F150_starter_wire_diagram_5_1.jpg

Here's what were going to do with the truck in park i want you to test for power at the red and light blue wire going into and out of the neutral safety switch with the key in the start position it should have power to both of those wire's.Let's there.

I probably should have also mentioned that it has a manual transmission if we are gonna talk about nuetral safety switches. Is it located at the clutch pedal, in the linkage, or somewhere entirely different on these trucks?

Dwb812
I couldnt really read the wiring diagram but after some manipulation I was able to make out the clutch interlock switch and its location on the diagram. In short, I answered my own question. Will post when I have test results. Of course I will likely be able to troubleshoot this now. Thanks. I will let you know how it all works out or let you know if I have any more questions/trouble issues. By the way, did I say thnkyou? Really appreciate the help.

Dwb812
Your welcome that's what were here for to help people with there car's. Let me know what you find and if you have anymore question's.

Sorry about that. I never really saw the transmission designation initially. Must automatically list it as automatic if you dont change it huh? Well, I'm about to go out to the shop and check it out so I'll let you know. I'm sure I can run it down from here unless there is some Ford voodoo in the way I'm not aware of. Just curious, if I make a donation do you get it? Is there a way I can help you out. That subscription is not cheap!

Dwb812
I think you are correct it does default to automatic if you don't change it. Yes if you want to make a donation it does help me out.I emailed you that wire diagram so hopefully you can view it better. Let me know what you come up with.

Page 1 of 2