F150 I'M BACK-- STILL STUCK IN PARK !!!!!

1987 Ford F-150

1987 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Replaced stop light switch (finally found one) Shift lever still will not move ! Un-hooked linkage at tranny and it shifts fine so I assume tranny ok. Seems to be bound up on the column. No resistance on lever when you pull it back to put in gear(used to have resistance) Could something be broken where shift arm attaches to column?
Dieselmaoyen

Take a look at where the shift cable attaches to the rod coming through the steering column. If that connection is OK, you must have a broken shift cable. This would be extreemly rare, but it's possible. Also, is the cable attachment under the dash moving? It may be broken in the column.

James W.
Don't see any cable. Think I have rod linkage

Dieselmaoyen
OK, if you have a rod linkage, it should be under the hood attached to a lever on the steering column next to the firewall. Does this lever/rod move when you move the shifter?

James W.

Dieselmaoyen
OK, I'm trying to picture this. You say the rod attached to the shift arm under the hood is connected and moving up and down. Correct?
Is the rod under the hood, attached to the steering column, going back to the trans selector arm move back and forth?

James W.
It DOES NOT MOVE UP N DOWN, also the rod attached to the steering column going back to the trans selector does not move. By moving I mean the arm has a little play in it; you can wiggle shifter lever and it in turn wiggles the arms (rods) on the steering column

Dieselmaoyen
OK, now we're getting somewhere. Apparently, the socket that your shift lever fits into, inside the column is broken. This is more common on manual shifts than automatics, but it does happen. You can buy replacement parts, pull the steering wheel, signal switch and key assembly to repair it, but it's a miserable job. I would highly recomend buying a used column and replacing the entire unit. Being an '87 truck, you should have no problem finding a used on at a reasonable price and probably even match the color. Let me know'

James W.
Have wheel pulled and all the guts out. If I decided to replace parts how hard would it be now that I have all the guts out?It appears that a 1/4 inch wide flat rod might be the problem? When we pull the center silver plate like object below the tilt pinion(?) It will shift thru the gears; looks like the lil flat rod might be bent or is binding

Dieselmaoyen
If you have all that apart already, your 1/2 way there. What you need to do is determine what's broke and what you need to replace. If it's the shift collar, they are readily available, but come unpainted. If it's the shaft going through the column, you have to pull the column out and trar the whole thing apart. A big job. Good luck. Personally, I'd change out the whole column.

James W.
Thank you Mr. Weizel for all your time and patience; you guys do a really fantastic job answering questions from people like me that don't have a clue in heck what is wrong! Again thank you n when I get a few xtra bucks I will donate more than the $10 I have donated. Gonna get a different column and put that in.

Dieselmaoyen
Page 1 of 2