F150 WON'T IDLE

1978 Ford F-150

1978 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

While driving in the morning the truck runs fine but once the engine is warmed up it won't idle when stopped. I have to hold the brake and the gas to keep the truck from dying. Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Danscott

Hi: Check for vacuum leaks. Also, check the EGR to make sure it isn't sticking or plugged with carbon. Also, make sure the choke butterfly is fully opening when the engine is hot.

Let me know what you find.

I believe I may have figured out the problem. The car had been sitting for a while and I took the fuel filter off yesterday and realized that there is rust in my tank which is then getting to my engine and causing it to cut off at inconvenient times. Any tips on cleaning it out?

Danscott
Rust is a tough one because it sits at the bottom of the tank. The best thing to do is have it cleaned and coated (inside). I don't know what the cost will be where you are, but that is the best fix. As far as the rest, you need to remove the carb and clean it out, and replace the fuel filter and blow out the fuel lines.

Let me know how it works out for you. It does sound like you found the problem though.