BRAKE ROTOR REPAIR - YES OR NO

Ford Explorer

I took my 2004 Ford Explorer with 33,000 miles into a dealership to have it completely given the works.
They told me the brake pads had 7.5 mm of usable wear (that pads typically start with 10 mm) so they were good. Now I know the pads squeeze against the rotor to stop the vehicle so when they told me the rotors were rusted, pitted, grooved, and extremely worn - this just doesn't make sense since I've never had the pads replaced or anything done to the brakes.
They told me they had to replace the rotors but did not give me any " old" replaced parts, and it supposedly only took four hours to complete this work entirely. At a cost of $1000?

Did I get abused?
Did I get abused

People hate me when I tell them this but here it goes again.

I'm 57 years old and have worked all my life on my cars. I can't tell you how many times I've replaced shoes and pads on the many, many cars I've owned but I've NEVER turned a drum, turned a rotor or replace one in the last 40 years. I always just break the glaze with emery cloth before I reassemble even though the rotors or drums may be grooved. The worst I've had is a pulsing pedal until the new shoes/pads seat(into the grooves).

CraigFL
Well I'm 52 and started working on cars at 12 in my Dads yard. Todays cars give you no room for turning thes rotors anyway. To reduce vehicle weight.
If you want the brakes to turn out right, change the rotors and use Ceramic pads. Rotors wear with the pads, and if they arent thick enough, the piston in the caliper can go past the seal, and you loose your brakes! Oh yeah.I also worked on cars professionally. Sounds like a different story for you!

Merlin2021