RUNS HOT

2007 Ford Explorer

Engine Cooling problem
2007 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

Hello, the temperature gauge in my Explorer Sport Trac 2007, will run hot and then back to normal when I am driving the vehicle. The engine makes a blowing sound like it is running hard. It will do this and then come back to normal. I am hoping you can tell me what the situation could be.

Thank you so much.
Reggieftl

The blowing noise is most likely the fan clutch locking to make the fan spin faster when it reaches a high enough temp under the hood. As far as the hot engine, does it happen all the time, in town only, at highway speed only? Let me know. Also, have you replaced the thermostat?

The temperature change happens in highway traffic and also on in regular driving. I have not anything to rectify the situation yet.

Reggieftl
As far as the noise you hear, I feel confident it is the clutch fan and that is normal if the under hood temp gets too hot. As far as the overheating, make sure the coolant level is full. Also, make sure there is no coolant mixing with the motor oil. If had to guess, with that many miles, I would think the thermostat is in need or replacement. If you find coolant in the oil, it will make a creamy substance under the oil cap and on the dipstick. That would indicate a bad head gasket. Check it and let me know what you find. If you need directions or anything, let me know.