CYLINDER HEAD

2002 Ford Explorer

2002 Ford Explorer V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 78000 miles

do to a sparkplug that has shot out I had that repaired but there seems to still be a hole somewhere around that sparkplug. They say I need to replace the cylinder head. Lets say I never replace that cylinder head at all? What can happen to the engine is it still driveable?
Myspace

It all depends on what size hole your talking about. Whichever size of hole. Your going to be losing compression on that cylinder. The bigger the hole the less likely you will get any type of seal. The more loss of compression. You have also got the chance of debiris getting into the hole and causing other damage. To piston's and ring's etc. The best thing would to replace the head.? At the very least you will have driveability problems.

Dave H
So how much do u think that will cost when I had it looked at the first time they said 3200 is that alot or does that seem fair

Myspace
Not knowing which side is broken. I have priced right hand side which takes the longest to do. The head is OEM dealer part with valves and camshaft included. You may be able to get this cheaper elsewhere?

Labor =9 hrs @ $50 p/h $450-00

of course your shop may have different labor charges

head w/valves and camshaft $1,145.52

total. $1,595.52

Dave H
Sorry I priced up a V6 head.

The V8 head cost's $824.33 incuding valves

+ $450-00 labor

total $1,274.33

Dave H