SHAKES AT HIGHER SPEEDS

2001 Ford Explorer

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2001 Ford Explorer 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Can you tell me what would cause the vehicle to shake when getting to higher speeds. I'm from MI and the speed limit on the xpressway is 70, but if I go over 60 is starts to shake. The most comfortable highest speed is about 50, but I would get pulled over for that on the e-way.
Ace_holly

You could have problems with your tires as in balancing or the suspension may be worn out, ie shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends. All mentioned problems could cause a " wobble" effect.
I have recently replaced the front suspension on my " 01 at 89,000 miles

Jdtmmb
You might wanna check front and rear driveshaft u-joints before one ruins a yoke or FLIES OFF! - (VERY, VERY BAD!)

(help)
You wouldn't think the suspension would be bad at only 58k miles would you?

Ace_holly
No, I agree with you - sounds like a classic tire balance problem (as JD said) - but it's easy to check u-jts. Park over a ditch (unless you're skinnier than me), BLOCK THE TIRES, SET the E-BRAKE, put in NUETRAL (so there's no tension on shafts). Then get a good flashlight and look for loose caps, damage or rust coming out of the bearings. Grab shaft and work it up and down as hard as you can (there should be no play). If you pass this test I'd have tires balanced and go from there. When balancing, the tire guy may notice a bent rim, bad tire, etc, or even a steering or suspension concern (it's hard to rule anything out from my end.)

(help)