AIR CONDITIONING NOT WORKING

1997 Ford Explorer

Air Conditioning problem
1997 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

WHAT CAN BE THE PROBLEM. IT HAS COOLANT BUT THE AIR CONDITIONER DOESN'T WANT TO THROW COLD AIR JUST PLAIN HOT AIR. WHAT CAN BE THE PROBLEM, HOW CAN I REPAIR IT? HOW CAN I FIND WHERE THE PROBLEM IS? PLEASE HELP ME THANK YOU. AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
Dcortesm88

Your explorer is low on refrigerent and needs to be recharged. (Most likely) it is quite possible that you have a slow leak in the system and this will only be a temporary fix. When they recharge it, they usually add dye so the leak can be detected if there is one

Mastertechtim
A/C problems can be difficult to diagnose over the internet. First of all when you say you have coolant, are you talking about antifreeze or refrigerant. If you are talking about antifreeze, that will not help us here. To check the level of refrigerant, you need pressure gauges in the hands of a qualified technician. This is not a do-it-yourself job for the average do-it-yourselfer. There are high pressures and working with refrigerant without a licence is illegal.
Is the compressor working? The compressor has a magnetic clutch and the clutch will pull in when the system wants cooling. If you are not pulling in the clutch, it could be an electrical problem. If it cycles often, then you are likely looking at a refirgerant loss and will need to have a recharge.
There could be other problems involved here also.

Bhugg