FORD EXPLORER ENGINE PROBLEM

1997 Ford Explorer

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1997 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

i have a 97 explorer 2 wheel drive milage 160000. When I get to about 30 or 40 and try to speed up it shakes like the engine is clogged and about to fall out. Had the tranny replaced, plug wires, belt and air filter. Any advice would be great.
Jr309308

Any trouble codes? What kind of shape are the tires in?

Scotty Dee
The tires are in pretty good shape. There was a test on it that said system running 2 lean. But when I get on it I can blow through it and it stops. I have no idea where to start.

Jr309308
Okay. Lean would mean not enough fuel. I need to the trouble code to get you started. Or, if you have a fuel pressure gauge with a long enough line to allow you to tape the gauge to the windsheild, you could drive it and watch the pressure at 30-40 mph, or when it screws up.

Scotty Dee
I dont have the code # but what do u think might be causing this. The engine light is not on right now but it is still doing it.

Jr309308
It's difficult to speculate without any PID data. Are you going to try the fuel pressure test?

Scotty Dee
Say the pressure is bad and I know it is how would I fix that.

Jr309308
If the fuel pressure was below spec, we would verify that the pump is getting power to it, and that would indicate a fuel pump problem. The key to making this work for you, is to try to prevent throwing parts at it and hoping for a fix.

There is a flow of diagnosis that has to be used in approaching problem solving. That is why the trouble code is so important.

Do you have or have access to a basic code reader?

Scotty Dee
But if the engine light is not on will it read a code. I will get a code reader if I have to. Also thanks for the quick responses.

Jr309308
Didn't you say it had a lean code? That's a code : )

Fuel pump failures and loss of power to fuel pumps hardly ever set codes. Thats where sperience comes in. Been dar, did dat.

Did you give me any feedback? Good or bad give feedback.

Scotty Dee