IS IT A BLOWN HEAD GASKET OR A CRACKED EN

1994 Ford Explorer

Engine problem
1994 Ford Explorer V6 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

My son recently ran the 94 explorer without coolant until it stalled because of excessive heat. I filled the coolant system and started the vehicle, the smoke was so dense that it blinded me and filled the neighborhood. I also saw the smoke venting from the exhaust pipe under the vehicle. Drops of coolant also coming from the exhaust and from the exhaust pipes underneath.
Some mechanics said I need another engine, others said it's the head gasket and needs to be changed.
Which one is it, a cracked engine block or a blown head gasket? How can I troubleshoot this to decide which is which? Thank you.

tvdctor
Tvdoctor

The problem is if the crack is not big enough to see, you need to try a pressure test, if it's an internal leak, you could also fill some of the cylinders with antifreeze by the test, you will find the leak tho. If it's a smaller crack, sometimes they need to be set for a magnaflux test to find it, but then the engine is completely torn down and it will cost more than putting in a used engine.

Merlin2021
I read about a kit called " Thermagasket" that supposedly seals any cracked engine block and/or head gasket. Does anyone recommend it? It costs over $100, it's hard to believe what they claim. I love to hear from someone who actually used it.
Please advise.

Tvdoctor
If you do have a cracked head or blown gasket and want to try this, you must repair the problem that caused the overheating first! Then for 100.00 buck, you got nothin to loose!

Merlin2021