WILL NOT GO INTO GEAR

1993 Ford Explorer

1993 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

My explorer will not go into gear, I turned off my 4x4 last night and when I didi it made a buzzing noise! I tried to turn my 4x4 on again but it just made the same buzzing noise in the rear. I then tried to put it in drive and it would not move, I then tried to put it in any gear and it still would not work. I then put it in park and there was a grinding noise like you would hear in a manual tranny that had missed the clutch. And slowly stopped grinding. I checke the tranny fluid and it was fine. I had it towed home and when the driver took it off the lift it started to roll away while in park.

I can't seem to figure out what is going on I don't know if it the shift solenoid, the kickdown cable, or the torque converter. I have talked to 3 mechanics already the first said that the gear or chain was goin in my tansfer case, the other 2 think that the transmission is between gears
Jj_walters

Your problem is in the transfer case. It could be a broken chain, or the shift mechanism could be caught in the neutral position.

The noise that you heard is caused by the park lever trying to engage the park gear in the rear of the transmission while the output shaft was still spinning. This is further confirmed by the car rolling away while in park.

Jgarofalo