IDLE, TIMING NOT SURE....

1992 Ford Explorer

1992 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 300000 miles

I have a ford explorer 92 4x4

1. When I start my car I have to waite at least 10 to 15 min. In hot or cold wheather because it won't drive it I don't?

2. When driving the check engine light flicks off and on the the car will jump like the idle is running high then it will die down but it will do it just about every day now?

3. When the I try to put the car in reverse or drive it makes a big and hard jerk before going into gear what is that?

4. Why is my antilock brake light on all the time?

5. When driving at a speed of about 40 to 50 mph why do I hear a garggling sound from under the hood?
Makeda

First, the check engine light is indicating a problem within the electrical / ignition system. That could be causing most, if not all, of the engine problems you are having. You need to have the computer scanned to identify where the problem is coming from. Most parts stores will do it for free.

As far as the clunk you get when shifting gears, that could be a few things. Check universal joints, free play in the differential, and make sure trans and motor mounts are in good condition.

As far as the ABS light, it is most likely a bad sensor. Have it scanned too.

Now for the noise. Make sure the coolant and all other fluids are full.

Let me know what you find.