TIMING CHAIN NOISE

2002 Ford Expedition

2002 Ford Expedition V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 128000 miles

need help, 4.6 lit. Romeo eng. Timing chain began to chatter about a month ago. Was not sure what the problem was until about five days ago. Here is the problem, coming home the oil light came on very quickly got off the fwy. Shut down the motor and checked the oil level it was fine, started back up no problems other than the timing chain chattering. Oil light did not come back on. 4 or 5 minutes down the road it did come back on still no noise from motor pulled over because it had no power to climb the small grade. Shut it down and called AAA. Waiting for the tow truck I tried to start it no luck.
this motor is not free spining how do I get it to TDC?
timing chain is not broken, but the guides have some damage from the chain and the tensioners appear to have been rubbing the chain, all the help I can get is appreciated.
Scott0024

Its not good if it isnt turning over.May have hit some valves, that is whats stopping the crank from turning.There are bright links on the timing chain that are used to align the cams and crank.You may need to play with the cams and crank, turning a little bit at a time to see if you can get all of them to turn enough to align everything.The only other option is to get the on the car service tool for the valve springs and remove all of the followers so the valves arent lifting, then you should be able to turn the engine around without hitting anything

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_ford1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_ford2_1.jpg

Jack42
The crank wont even move a little bit, it should move a little unless something happened to the motor itself correct?
Keeping in mind the oil light coming on makes me think the timing may have jumped and with the chain being so loose maybe the oil pume was not pumping enough oil and seized the motor. Do you think this is a possible issue?

Thank
scott

Scott0024
Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes if you cant get the crank to move at all, it may be time to start calling salvage yards for a new engine. The only other option is if the chain has somehow bunched up under the crank gear and is holding it in place.

Jack42
Now I have also noticed that the trans appears to be leaking from the gasket, and a friend of mine said maybe it burped when the motor stoped what due you think? No leaking from from the trans case, just the pan gasket.

Thank you
Scott

Scott0024
Not very likely, the converter will act as a buffer between the two

Jack42
So the motor seizing should not have caused damage to the trans?

Scott0024
No, I wouldnt think that it would hurt the trans

Jack42
Do you happen to have the step by step procedure for removing the engine from my 2002 ford expedition. And is it going to be a headache to do with the motor seized as far as the trans is concerned?

Scott0024
It will be a mess, the converter will have to come out with then engine, which is going to spill several quarts of trans fluid out.

Jack42
I kind of figured that would be the case. Can you send me the step by step procedure for removing the motor from the car?

Scott0024
Page 1 of 2