FORD EXPEDITION ENGINE PROBLEM

1999 Ford Expedition

1999 Ford Expedition V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 132, 00 miles

In my moms ford expedition, when she starts it in the morning when its cold it has a knock for bout 10 seconds then goes away. And does not do it when its warmed up. I live in nevada so mornings are 20's and 30's. Could it be a wearing rod? Or maybe something else, thanks for the help.
Snobrdrpro

If it were a rod bearing it would get worse as the engine warmed up. It could be a wrist pin in a piston, but I doubt it. Is it a " heavy" knocking sound or more of a clicking? Please advise.

James W.
It's like tapping a screwdriver on the frame noise, and it starts about 5 seconds after it starts, and last about 10 seconds and that's it. Doesn't seem to effect engine or drivability just would like to fix it as it doesn't sound very good

Snobrdrpro
At a warm idle, what does your oil pressure read?
Also, at a warm idle, if you crack the idle up and down a few times, do you hear the noise?
Are you sure it isn't anything in or on the exhaust system?
Are you sure it's not a lifter rattling until it pumps up.

James W.
I was thinking it could be something in the head, but I don't know enough about fords to tear it down, but as for the oil pressure I will get you that info. Tomorrow

Snobrdrpro
If it sounds like it's under the valve cover, it could be a weak lifter, a worn rocker arm or a broken valve spring. There's nothing in the actual " head" that will make noise.

James W.
That's what I meant. I'm thinking it's a warn rocker or broken valve. The only way to check that is to pull the valve cover off correct?

Snobrdrpro
You may have a worn rocker or broken valve " spring", but you won't find a broken valve or it would miss on that cylinder. Yes, the only way you'll know for sure is to pull the valve cover. Let me know what you find.

James W.
Ok thank you for your help

Snobrdrpro
Keep me posted.
Just an added thought. A cracked or broken piston skirt will make a clicking noise in the top of the engine. The only you can check this is to pull the oil pan and visually check each piston. It's a lot of work.

James W.