AIR ONLY BLOWS OUT OF DEFROST VENTS

Ford Excursion

I have a 2000 Ford Excursion with 38000 miles on it. I park it every winter lifted off the ground and closed up. When I took it out this year I the air only came out of the defrost vents and not the other. I looked for obstructions and have not been able to find anything. I opened the Glove box door and moved the valve back there and I can force it to go down to the floor but still does not come out of the AC vents and when I let go it goes back to the defrost. I am not sure if there is more then one valve or what the problem could be. Thanks.
Devildog64

Everyone has mouse problems. You get vaccum from under the hood to the controls in side the cab look und the hood to make sure no lines have been munched on by mice theu may have eaten a hole in the feed line going in. (NOS)

PS parked autos are a haven for rodents and wiring and vaccum lines are food they make a mess of them Hint put put moth balls in pill bottles tih hole in the under the hood and it will dicourge them from making homes.

NOS
Thanks I will let you know what I find. I put Moth Balls all around the truck and will start putting them under the hood too.

Devildog64
Thanks for the reply. My spelling on a lot of it was really bad sorry. I answered a bunch of questions yesterday I guess I was getting tired : D (NOS)

NOS
I have a 95 Ford Ranger XLT (89,000 mi.), And I'm also having the SAME exact problem. The A/C and heater both work fine, but the control knob that's used to switch to the desired vents stopped working. It only blows from the top (defrost) vents. The funny thing is when I move the switch to the " OFF" position, the fans DO shut off!
Can anyone help us!

Rmonroe041
Not sure if the last thing I told ya fixed your problem. But here is something else to check. If you are getting vaccum inside there is a valv inbehind the selector that controls all the different doors in the box as you switch to a different section this valve changes vaccum to a different pod which opens or closes a door. Becareful when pulling it out there is a cable and wiring behind it you will see a little valve back there with a bunch of different colored lines on it. That valve is replaceible, they sometimes break inside. (NOTE): watch how it comes out real close cause they are timed. So you can reinstall back the same way. If you get it oyut of time yo will have much the same problem you have now. (NOS). 8) PS same goes for the other fella that posted a message in here when he was supposed to be answering your question. : Roll:

NOS
First, let me thanks NOS for his reply to my response.
I believe his suggestions may have helped me find what my problem was. Just in case some of you still have this problem, here is my solution (for a 95 Ford Ranger).
Under the hood, on the engine's right side (passenger's side) there is a plastic sphere (plastic ball) located roughly behind the radiator underneath the radiator hose, which has two thin plastic hoses running to/from it. I'm pressuming this is some kind of vacuum ball. One of those thin hoses (about as thin as the spray nozzle of a WD-40 can) had broken off right on the rubber plug which connects to this " vacuum ball.&Quot; I simply pulled the broken rubber plug connected to this ball, removed the broken piece wedged in this rubber plug using needle-nose pliers and some WD-40, and re-inserted the remaining loose hose into the rubber plug, making sure it was nice and tight, and plugged the rubber plug back onto the vacuum ball.
I started up the truck and VIOLA, all the vents work again!
So before you buy a new selector switch, or get hosed by a mechanic, make sure you check these two ridiculous lines first!

Good luck to all with your repairs, and thank you for your FAQ's and suggestions!

Rmonroe041
That is called a vaccum pod or canister. It's function is to hold vaccum to the controls while you are pulling hils and such. Iy is supplyed from a black line running from the engine's intake manifold plenium. (NOS) and i'am and automotive tech and work on autos 5 days a week 8 hours a day. Thx for the reply's. 8)

NOS
6 yrs later I read this and go out to my 95 ranger and find the little black line came off the canister. Plug it in and my vents work! I love the internet. Thanks.

Dustyb0
Yes, the vent doors are actuated by vacuum on many vehicles. If you lose vacuum, the defroster seems to be the default location.