TIMING BELT

Ford Escort

I own a '98 Ford Escort ZX2. I was told that Escorts have a bad rep with timing belts. In a week i'm driving from Pennsylvannia to Florida and I want my car in good shape. I also have an odd sound coming from the car. I've been to 5 mechanics including the Ford garage and they all told me they are clueless (Its been over a year and and still making this noise, sounds like a turkey or a goose and it makes it when i'm idle or turning). I did find one mechanic that suggested it was my timing belt and tensioner. Should I replace it just to be on the safe side?
Strwbery

Timing belt do have its own interval for replacement
usually around 75-90K miles.I've seen the tensioner and idler pulley goes out and it makes the kinda noise u described. Have a shop place an electronic stethscope around the area. Aint that hard to nail noise issue anyway. Just gotta find a competent shop. Thats all it is to be. Good luck. If u still stuck. Meg me and I'll look up the bulletines for speciall failure pattern on ur particular vehicle

Kin chan
Obviously, squealing noises can come from many sources in the engine. But the ZX2 has something called the crankcase breather filter (cost is around $15) that gets clogged up after 5 or so years. And it causes the engine to squeal (VERY annoying). I had the belt and tensioner replaced because the sound seemed to originate from there. But the problem was not fixed. I did some research online and found out about the crankcase breather filter. To see if this is the problem, simply pop your hood, start your car. Wait for the squealing to start and unscrew your oil cap (with the engine running). If the squeal goes away, it is the crankcase breather filter. Easy fix!

The part number for my 2001 ZX2 crankcase breather filter is F8KE-6A768-AC. A hose leads from the main air filter housing to the crankcase breather filter. And a small hose leads from the bottom of the breather filter to the crankcase cover. The guy at the Ford parts dealership did have to cross reference the part number. On my receipt, it lists it as part number F8CZ*6A768*AB. And there is a FA1661 by that.

By the way, the Ford maintenance book with my '01 ZX2 calls for the timing belt to be replaced at 120,000 miles. (Cost is supposedly around $500 for labor/parts). The timing belt is covered (you can't see it). And I'm not sure that it has a tensioner. I think you're referring to the drive belt (serpentine belt) and auto-tensioner. Which is what I had changed for around $100.

Osurlosers