94 1.9 LITER FUEL PUMP PROBLEMS

1994 Ford Escort

I had posted earlier about a rough idle and car died.I changed the fuel filter and now discovered that the fuel pump sometimes runs and sometimes it doesnt.I have a (spare)escort that I took the inertia switch off of and replaced on the car I am having trouble with. The car immediatly started and ran fine.I shut the car off and on several times and it started right back up. Thinking I had solved the problem I was going to drive into town for a test drive when out of the blue, once again, it wouldnt start.I also noticed that I couldnt hear the fuel pump run.I pulled the back seat cushion out, gained access to the pump and pulled it out.I looked for any visual problems and found none.I then hooked it up to a 12 volt source and the pumped worked every time. Ii placed it back in the tank and it worked a couple times and then stopped again.I checked the fuel pump relay and it also checked out fine. What in the world can be the problem? Do fuel pumps that go bad intermittently work sometimes or do I have some other problem?
Horse

Are the connectors to the pump good adn secure in the fitting? Does each of those give you aroudn 12v each time?

Blackop555
I found out that there was a service campaign (94B55) that called for fused jumper harness to be installed. Mine had not had this done but the 93 escort I have for parts had it so I installed it and my car actually started and shut off about 8 to 10 times in a row. However this morning once again the fuel pump wouldnt do a thing.I can hear the relay clicking like normal.( I also switched it with the 93). Today I bought a new multimeter and plan to checkout the harness to see if i'm getting juice all the time

Horse
I checked the power through the harness and found that it had juice 100 % of the time. Bought new fuel pump and seems to be working fine now. The guy at parts store says he has heard of some pumps working intermitently and some just giving up all together. After I pulled this one out it wont work at all now. Thanks for the guidence!

Horse