ZX2 NO POWER

2002 Ford Escort

2002 ford escort zx2 with ~54000 miles. When I hit the gas pedal, it diesels REAL bad and has no power. If I BARELY touch the gas it runs fine - albeit gets up to speed very slowly. Had the computer checked as the check engine light came on and replaced the MAF sensor - no help at all. I replaced the fuel filter, again no help at all. Car seems to rev ok while in park and idles fine - but no power under load. Check engine light is NOT on any more. Only owned the car for 6 weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wille304

I have to start by saying that this vehicle is used as a professional rally racing car, and for the most part has done a GREAT job. However, the above issues are EXACTLY the same. I can push the gas down up to half way, and the car will do just fine the entire time. But when I give it a bit more 'go-juice' the car begins to buck and eventually looses all power. Take my foot off the gas and then reapply it half way, no issue. I have replaced the TPS with so effect. There are no conclusive OBD II codes being produced. NOW, I will say that before, it seemed to correspond to the level of gas in the fuel tank. Any help on this issue?

M1903man