TIMING BELT

1999 Ford Escort

1999 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 85000 miles

This 2.0 DOHC engine is shredding timing belts.
The dealer told me the crank shaft was moving causing the belt to walk up the pulley and shredding it. Is there a fix for this problem without rebuilding the engine? If so what is it and how is it done?
Gpafixit

Every thing is possible !
But I would get another opinion as if the crank no good I would expect to see other issues like oil leak and vibrations
get another opinion check water pump and check the pulleys
and if its the crank shaft? Engine must be rebuilt?
Good luck

BMRFIXIT
It is most likely not the crank it self but the THRUST BEARING. Witch is one of the crank bearings in the engine. As the name inplyes the thrust bearing limits the amount of movement foward and backward in the engine block. The only problem is you would or should rebuild the engine at this piont due to the fact that if you are changing the crank bearings you will need to have the crank polished or reground and chane the piston rod bearings at the same time. At this piont you will need to repace the rear main seal and front seal. At this piont you will have at least half of what it would cost to replace the whole engine with a rebuilt one or just replace it with a used one from a wreaking yard. Good luck with how ever you decide to go.

Sickzicc