SE M/T

1998 Ford Escort

How do I check the transmission fluid in my Escort? I understand that being a manual transmission means that the fluid should always be ok. I am have gear shifting problems.I have to force the car in gear. It feels like driving a car with out power steering. HELP.
Anunley7

Haven't had a manual trans since 87, but usually there is a hex-head plug that must be removed, the fluid should be at the bottom of the plug opening after you remove it, may leak a little depending on plane of vehicle. Get yourself a repair manual, Chilton or whatever to help you. Unless the trans is leaking the fluid should remain constant provided it was correct to begin, how is the clutch operating? Releasing as normal or has the point changed?Any shuddering upon release?

TaurusWheel
My escort manual transmission had to be checked & filled thru the speedometer cable hole.

CraigFL
Interesting, like I posted, haven't had one in years, I was thinking they would have dipsticks on them by now.

TaurusWheel