SEVERE PRESSURE BUILD UP IN COOLING SYSTEM

1994 Ford Escort

Engine Cooling problem
1994 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

Hi
I have just bought the above vehicle and I have noticed on a hot day while using the airconditioner, the cooling system has a severe pressure build-up.
When I turn the engine off, the coolant flows into the reservoir bottle with great force. I have no doubt if I removed the radiator cap at this stage it would be like a fire hose shooting coolant to the moon!
The funny thing is the temp gauge registers normal (about half scale) and the engine performance is normal.
Thanks in advance.
Electric_chook

The Escorts had a history of head or head gasket problems. Possibly the temp. Gauge may not be working correctly.

It may be worth a few minutes to pull the plugs out and look at them for signs of burning coolant. If there is a breech, the cylinders can over pressurize the cooling system. In early stages, a performance problem may not be evident.

Check the freezepoint on the coolant, the coolant may be too weak and be boiling over.

Also, when the engine comes to temperature, how hot is the heat, when the blower motor is turned on? Possible restriction. At 200,000 miles, I would not be surprized if stop leak has been added to attempt to solve a prior problem.