LX CHOKING PROBLEM

1990 Ford Escort

Yes, I own a 1990 Ford Escort Lx with 62,000 miles. Just lately after awhile of driving it. It will seem to choke out and service engine light will come on but it will not die out though you wont have any pwoer. Then will work fine for a few seconds and do it again. It doesnt do this all the time just after awhile. I have replaced the air filter and the breather filter plus changed the oil. What else could be causing it to choke out after awhile? Help I don; t know what can be causing this.
Mjblic

Pull the engine code or codes, will give you an idea of what's happening, any black smoke when thids happens? Or just slowly dies off? Most auto parts stores will do the codes for you, make sure they tell you the code number or numbers, or better yet, if you're going to keep the car for a while longer, invest the $30 and buy an eec4 code reader, Actron or another brand. Easy to use.

TaurusWheel
Ok, I will look into the eec4 code reader. Too answer you questionsthere is no black smoke and it only does this going down the road it would like cut in and out. Though it would be fine just sitting at the lights or a stop sign. Its only after awhile going down the road it acts up and chokes its self out for awhile.

Mjblic
Choking itself out, does that mean no fuel, black smoke would indicate too much fuel. Does this only when warmed up? How does it run when cold-started? Get the reader, it's money well spent, the codes given may help you out. Then reason I'm wondering if it's a hot or cold problem is if you've got a sensor or like going bad, it'll show when it starts outputting info, cold starts are usually running on a factory- installed program in the pcm, basing a cold start on coolant temp and intake temp sensor, as the engine warms up, pcm starts using more input from various engine sensors to more finely tune the running condition. On the older obdI cars, such as yours, sensors may not be transmitting optimum info, but the check engine light may not come on until a set parameter is met, the pcm will see this is not right and turn on the light. Newer obdII's are much more sensitive to failing inputs.

TaurusWheel