IAC OR EGR

2005 Ford Escape

2005 Ford Escape 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

The car idles fine when in park and neutral and in the city it runs fine, idles normally but when I drive for miles at a steady MPH and come to a stop the car idle gradually slows and stalls in a matter of a few seconds. I can keep the car from stalling by keeping the rpms around 1,000 with my foot on the brake it will adjust and will be fine until I start driving again, stop, and it will stall again. I've read up on both valves and it sounds like a problem with both or it could be the pcv valve which is noted in the maintenance manual to replace at 100,000 miles. Should I start changing parts or is one more likely over the other?
Sakirider

This may help. See my profile. Written/experienced by me and sent to several other people w/ similar situations at this site. Pasting.

Our Escape would idle low, then it got to point it would die when you stopped. Revving + holding brake was only way to keep it running. Took it to fellow R/C airplane pilot, he doubles as a S.C. State HWY DEPT mechanic.. When I got to his house, he was repairing a tractor. Told him my sob story. Escape was still barely running, I raised the hood. He said, (and I quote).&Quot; It could be the IDLE AIR CONTROL(IAC)", as he pointed to it, and emphasied it with a sharp rap using the wrench in his hand. It straightened right up, and ran damn good. That was a 15/16 Craftsman wrench, box end, kinda a medium rap. YES, I visited parts store and replaced it. Hope this helps

. Unpasting.

Buddy also said I could clean it. Took no chances, its WIFEs rig. Did replace it. IT WAS VERY EZ TO REMOVE/ REPLACE/ SIMPLE INSIDE. He said clean moving parts leave motor alone might pay to clean it and VERIFY IAC is problem

Hope I helped, send back results.

Love, Turddog