NUMBER 2 CYLINDER MISFIRING.

2001 Ford Escape

2001 Ford Escape 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 154000 miles

I’m very certain it is not the coil since I swapped it with the number 1 coil and that cylinder is performing fine and number 2 is still misfiring with code P302.

However, the car was driving fairly well for about 5 miles before it started to misfire again after the coil swap but less often. I’m thinking it is the wire and or connector leading to the coil. My question(s) is (are):

What is the best way to diagnose this without mechanic/specialized diagnostic tools? I have a multimeter and a code reader but that’s it.

Assuming it is the wire/connector and I can buy one (I see them online), where does the other end terminate? Do I just unwrap it fro the rest and trace it back?

Can I replace the whole wiring harness? If so what is its part number and where can I buy it?

Lastly could it still be something else? If so what?

Thanks for your help.
KnightsTour

Hi KnightsTour, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

P0302 A misfire in a specific cylinder should lead you to check the sparkpug, compression and injector for the that cylinder and probable causes of misfiring below

1. Defective spark plug
2. Inadequate spark/coil, defective spark plug wire.
3. Lack of compression
4. False air leakage.
5. Faulty fuel injectors.
6. Insufficient fuel pressure.
7. Contaminated fuel.
8. EGR valve that is leaking.
9. Oxygen sensors.
10. Throttle position sensor.
11. Idle air control valve.