TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT

2001 Ford Escape

2001 Ford Escape 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

I started having problems with the transmission on my 2001 Ford Escape. When I put it into drive the rpm's rev very high like it is starting in high gear. When I manually place it in first gear I can start to drive. I can then shift to second and then to drive which allows me to drive the car, although it feels like I am going from second to fourth gear in that process. Reverse works OK. I took it to a repair shop and they told me the transmission needs to be replaced. Do you agree? What would it cost to rebuild the transmission? The shop told me it would cost between $3200 and $3800 to replace it with a rebuilt one (they won't rebuild mine).
Dmartell

Chances are they are correct. As far as the cost, that sounds high; however, I don't know where you live. I would estimate around 2500.00. Also, I would also recommend finding someone who can rebuild your transmission. That should help you save money.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Wow. We have a Ford Escape (2002). About one year or earlier after buying it, we began to have the same problems that you described. Because our vehicle was still under warranty, we had a - new transmission placed in our Escape by Ford. After repeated problems with the same difficullties, Ford put in a " fix" - Following thorough research and discovering that Ford had a history of problems with transmissionsl I became a relentless 'piit-bull.' You may want to ask the dealer (if you bought your vehicle there about the fix for transmission (valve fix). Since our transmission was fixed with their repair we have had no problems.

Linda A
I had a transmission problem with mine too about 4 years ago, but different issue and different transmission, mine was an automatic had O/D light on for a while then started making noises and finally died on the road, of course was out of warranty.
I asked for dealer they wanted to charge me few 100's of dollars just to diagnose the problem then if it need to replace the transmission they said over 3000 dollars.
So I made some researches online untill I came across this random guy who had a transmission shop, sent him an e-mail, he then called for more questions, scheduled a pick up because he had free towing, took the car didnt know him or anything 2 days later he called said it will cost 1400 dollars and 2 years warranty, I agreed 4 days later called to get the car, everything went smooth nd had my car fixed and still runing fine like before.

So take ur time and dont let ppl take advantage of you.

Zamo95
Good advice!