ECONOLINE E350 MOTORHOME

1986 Ford E-Series Van

My husband and I own a 1986 Ford E350 Coachman motor home with a 460 engine. It has 27,000 original miles. This year when we unwinterized it and I took it on it's first trip, it started to backfire and lose power cliimbing hills. Previous to this, it was a real runner, with no problems climbing hills. My husband is retired truck mechnic (18 wheelers). He figured that water was in the lines and I put in two containers of dry gas. This seem to solve the problem at that time. He then decided to get into it and replaced spark plugs, air filters, gias liine filter and some hoses. I again took it on another trip and it seemed to run fine. After filling up again this weekend and it started to back fire and lose power uphill. I barely got it up hills to a safe place to pull off. I called him and he said to use octane booster and dry gas again. I did that and it ran ok, some backfiring and some loss of power, but nothing as bad as it was before I used those products. IHe is stumped and is hoping for any other ideas as to what it could be. Also, the engine runs fine, no high idle. This engine also has double belt system. ( My husband is not here to write this, his grandmother died and he is out of state with his family, so I am trying to remember all that he told me, he is not internet savy at all.)
Thanx, maagk
Maagk

Low power and backfiring are usually signs of a lean engine. Does your coach have a Mass Airflow Meter? Also have your husband do a fuel pressure test.

Jack42
The motorhome does not have a mass airflow meter and I will have to find someone to test the fuel pressure thing. Anyone else have any other suggestions, I really need to get this going, I am self employed and use this to travel to dog shows where I do business.
Thx, maagk

Maagk
When they are checking fuel pressure have them watch the o2 sensors to be sure they are working properly

Jack42
I have a 1988 ford rv 460 f350, had the same problem up hill no power, runnjng flat almost come to a stop back firing, I changed the distributor cap had a hair line crack and corroded inside, changed it myself runs like it was new. 45,000 miles on ! Ck it out.

Doody