TRANSMISSION WON'T GO WHEN IN DRIVE

1998 Ford Contour

1998 Ford Contour 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120, 00 miles

I have a 1998 contour with about 120, 00 miles, just the other day I drove it to work and everything was fine. When I left to go home it would barely go when I put into drive, so I downshifted into 2nd gear and it proceeded to go then I shifted back to drive when the rpm's got high enuff, that worked for awhile now it won't even go in the lower gears. If I get the vehicle to actually to accelerate to higher gears it goes just fine. Does anyone have any ideas.

thanks
Rhayes1980

Hi there,

First make sure the fluid level is correct, if that is OK, you will have to get a transmission shop to run a pressure test on the box to check shift pressures, this may well be a faulty valve in the transmission valve body.

Mhpautos
I'm having the same problem and it happened in the same scenario. But my 2nd and 1st gear work but Drive will barely pull unless I pull off in 2nd then switch to drive. Could it be the same issue?

Tunerboy313
Hi there,

you could have the same or a similar issue going on, I would still get it seen to by a trans tech, as there will not be very much that you can do your self.

Mhpautos