TEMPERATURE GAUGE

1998 Ford Contour

My daughters 1998 Contour 2.0L ~120,000. The temperature gauge stopped working a couple of months ago. The car runs fine. She just graduated from college so were trying to save money. What is the best sequence of tests to find the problem? Where might these components to test be located? We do not have a repair manual. Thanks!
Lherko

Justanold, sorry for the delay. Had to wait for my daughter.

1) the gauge does not move at all.
2) New York State, but why?
3) the radiator cooling fan does cycle.

Thanks Again!

Lherko
Hello again Justanold. We did the test this evening on her weekly visit and the gauge pegged, so we'll be looking for a new temperature sender unit to install. My daughter specifically said to THANK YOU!

Lherko
Hi I have the same problem with my 1996 Contour - is there an easy way to access the temp sender? Mine is blocked by the coolant pipes

Karayz
Karayz,
It is a pain to get to but I can't answer your question. At the time my daughters car needed other work, So we paid about $40 to have the shop install the sensor. I did have to go to the dealer to get the correct sensor, that was another $40.
Regards

Lherko
My temp gauge does not move at all. My fan works and I removed the sensor and measured the resistance and it was 24K in room temp. I put it hot water and it went down to 8K and then I iced it and it went to 80K. It seems that the senosr should be fine but I don't know what I should read for the resistance. I shorted two sensor wires with a short jumper and the gauge did not move. You said short red/white wire. Which one? One of them or both?

More info. I also called Ford parts and they told me that I have taken out water sensor and I need to test water sender. Water temp sender is for the gauge and sensor is for overheating. My car does not overheat.

Hajimow