FUEL PUMP

1997 Ford Contour

1997 Ford Contour 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

Vehicle idle was somewhat rough. In gear with AC on would sometimes stall. On accelleration would hesitate briefly.
Maintenance has been good except never had fuel injectors serviced. Changed out injectors and fuel filter. Now runs somewhat worse. I am thinking a bad fuel pump. Any easy tests for shade tree mechanic for fuel pump. They are expensive. Of note several months ago threw a codePO 171 " lean on bank one". Cleared code and ran good until currently. Had been getting 35mpg.
Does it make sense that it runs worse after changing out injectors and filter?
Thank You kindly
Ddevault

It sounds like you have the same luck I have when I work on my own car. Regardless, fuel pressure is easy to check. You will need a fuel pressure gauge that most parts stores will lend or rent to you.

Here is a how to for checking pressure. It includes a video showing you how to do it. Let me know if you have other questions.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm