ENGINE FLOODING

1996 Ford Contour

1996 Ford Contour 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

A week ago one of the short heater hoses under the ingition pack burst. I had to remove the thermostat casing to get to it, repaired it and the engine started fine. As a side note, the connectors to both the coolant temperature sensor and the temperature sending unit. I had to solder wire onto the terminals and then tested them both. Normal readings were found. Left it overnight and the car refused to start the next morning. I have done everything I can think of to get it to start, but have hit a wall.

Checked spark
Checked compression
Checked fuel
Checked the timing and timing belt.
Tested and replaced wireset
Removed the first O2 sensor to make sure that it wasn't back-pressure from the exhaust
When checking the spark plugs I noticed that the cylinders had gas pooling.
Pulled the throttle body and found fuel pooling in the bottom of the Intake manifold
Dried up the pools of gas and tried restarting
Checked the fuel system, pressure OK, pressure regulator holds vacuum pressure (diaphram intact)
Pulled injectors in case they were sticking open. Soaked them in cleaner. Poured cleaner in the top of the injector and used 12v source to activate valve. Cleaner drained through.

Tried to start again and you can smell the fuel. Still flooding.

I can't think of what else to try.
Smaag

Hi smaag,

Thank you for the donation.

What is your engnine type?

Did you check the ECT readings again? Any possibility of the wires connected wrongly?
You do have sparks?

Its a 2.0 L4 DOHC Vin-" 3" I think I have found the problem. I could only use rags to soak up the fluid in the cylinders and it definately smelled of gas. I picked up a vacuum test/brake bleed kit, sucked it up and discovered it was lime-green. Coolant. I figure I blew the head gasket when the engine overheated. I have ordered a new gasket and bolt set and have pulled the head.

The new gasket is carbon fiber so hopefully it won't deteriorate as quickly. (The last Felpro gasket lasted just over a year.) Any recommendations on if I should use some gasket sealant or just put it on dry?

Thanks,
Stephen

Smaag
Hi Stephen,

I normally used a spray on gasket maker. It does helps.

Did you check the cylinder head for warpage?

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't checked it yet, but I will.

Smaag