SPEEDOMETER NOT WORKING PROPERLY

1998 Ford Cobra

1998 Ford Cobra V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 87000 miles

i was driving my 98 Mustang Cobra out of a parking lot and noticed that the speedometer was not moving. When I got to im guessing 25mph it moved up to 25. I felt like I was going faster than that speed. After driving for a while I slowed down to almost a stop and saw that the needle stayed up at 25mph. It did not come back down until I downshifted. Please help me resolve this problem! I dont want to get a ticket! From some research I have seen that the vehicle speed sensor might be a problem. Also the speedometer gear. Or something as simple as lubricating the speedometer needle(which I have not done yet). Thanks!
N10485

Start with wiring. Unplug the VSS, with a jumper wire, touch one end on the connector and the other end of the jumper wire on the other connector,
have someone turn the ignintion key key in " start" and watch the speedometer moves anytime you touch the jumper wire en on the connector.
If it is acting up as it is doing now, then the problem is in the wiring or the back of the needle need lubricated
if it act up better, then the speedometer gear is strip, remove the VSS and check it out.

Mathiaso