SPEEDOMETER CABLE

1997 Ford Aspire

1997 Ford Aspire 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

i need to replace the speedometer cable on this car. Do I have to remove the instriment cluster to do this. How do I remove the cluster?
Jlyle2106

1. Remove the instrument cluster. (See below)
2. Press down on the lock tabs and remove the instrument cluster main lens.
3. Remove the four speedometer/odometer screws from the instrument cluster back plate.
4. Remove the speedometer/odometer.

Installation: NOTE: The mileage on a replacement odometer cannot be reset. If a replacement odometer is installed, a sticker recording the vehicle's mileage at the date of replacement must be attached to the driver's door jamb.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Instrument Cluster

Removal: 1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

2. Remove the two instrument panel finish panel screws.
3. Remove the instrument panel finish panel insert.
4. Carefully pry the instrument panel finish panel away from the instrument panel.
5. Disconnect the speedometer cable at the transaxle.

6. Remove the four instrument cluster screws.
7. Pull the instrument cluster away from the instrument panel.
8. Reach behind the instrument cluster, press the lock tab, and disconnect the speedometer cable.

9. Press the lock tabs and disconnect the two instrument cluster electrical connectors from the back of the instrument cluster. NOTE: The instrument cluster has been removed to clarify the location of the lock tabs.
10. Remove the instrument cluster.
Installation: To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Richzombie