AMP LIGHT ON AND OFF

1996 Ford Aerostar

1996 Ford Aerostar 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic

I noticed someone else with the same problem of amp light on dash going on and off( goes off occassionally when I accelerate and voltage on meter goes to about 10. Any ideas? Thanks
VancouverWayne

With the car running, you should have around 14+ volts. It sounds like the alternator is bad. You can have a parts store check if for you or here is a how to for checking the alt.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_alternator.htm

Let me know what you find.

Thanks, I went to an alternator place and they did determine alternator not putting out. But better than that local libraries arounc Vancouver now have online access to auto manuals from home and while researching the removal/instal procedure I noticed remval/instal for the regulator/bsh setup. I have a reasonable parts place I go to and got the brushs and regulator for about $20/each. I didn" t even remove the alternator to instal! As a little tricky until I removed the oil fill tube, rad return hose(clamp was hard to put back). I think I used a Torx 20 bit and combination small ratchet and even one of those little extendable mirrors to line up the screws because screws are in back. I" m no mechanic and it went back on suprisingly easy!

VancouverWayne
I had a feeling it was bad. I'm glad you got it fixed, and for under 50 bucks. Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Okay, everything was going great after I replaced the regulator and brushes. Yesterday I noticed the alternator
needle on the indicator very unsteady and fluctuating. Had me concerned, same thing today then the needle just dropped like last time. I made it home took the battery out to charge and will possibly buy another regulator tomorrow. Bad part possibly? Don" t know what else to do or what causing it..

VancouverWayne
It could be a bad part. I question if there is a short in the field windings or other component in the alt. Try replacing the part. I'm sure it's under warranty. Let me know what you find.

I removed battery, charged overnite (was still at 12v when I put on charger). I did notice battery clamps could be removed by hand(snug but not lock tight).
When I put battery back(wrench on clamps) and started it was charging little over 14v. I think I read somewhere too that overheating can cause problems and seemed hotter than usual under the hood when I removed. So I will drive today and see how long this lasts. Thanks for all the feedback!

VancouverWayne
Let me know if it works.

Also, check the cable heads on the battery as well as the battery cables. If the cable heads are hot after running the van for a cpl minits, you'll need a new battery cable.

Donaldgoldsr
So voltage meter on dash dropping again and actually came back up breifly. I drove around today about 40km
and still starting/running. Unlike original problem before I replaced regulator and brushes the ALT light hasn" t come on. Yet. Still puzzled. And I will check the cables next time for overheating.

VancouverWayne
Let me know what you find.