WON'T START

1995 Ford Aerostar

1995 Ford Aerostar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 147000 miles

Van has been sputtering for like 2 months, before that it chugged alot. My dad was driving down the highway the other day and it just quit on him, he thought he was out of gas so he got more, but, it still would not start. We checked the spark plugs by holding one near some metal at night and we got a spark, we pushed in the shrader valve on the fuel rail while cranking and it gushed fuel. I have changed the fuel filter about 4 months ago, we have a new battery and alternator. Sometimes when I crank it, it will put-put like its about to start running, but it doesnt. Could it be timing or the computer? One more thing, we also changed plugs and wires recently and it has a new distributer, cap and rotor.
TriumphSpitfireFan

Hey, I read your post Over and Over. I like to Get AND give good advice.. Due to your vehicles year of build it rules out alot of things that could potentially be problems on non distributer vehicles. Before we go any further ya just GOTTA do a compression test. I know it's a pain in the A%% but you situation warrants it. Thats a butt load of miles for that engine and all of your symptoms point to that. Go to an Auto Zone, Advance, O Reillys or whatever your chain is and they should be able to loan ya a guage. In this case don't worry about the typical + or - 10% business.. Wait ; no do this instead.
Put a wrench on your dampner pully bolt and bounce it left and right. Ya should have no more than about an inch play at the end of the wrench.
We are looking for excessive play. If that doesn't tell ya anything ya should have at least 90 lbs perssure in each cylender. Let me know what ya find Larry

Larry6354
Have you checked the oil for milkiness? Maybe a bad headgasket, or lower intake gasket. Sounds like you already eliminated alot of possible causes.

Madmike1735
I will back up larry on this as he is 100% right. After a compression check, I would check the fuel pressure at the rail (where you pressed the shrader valve)

Madmike1735
Ok, we will check fuel pressure, compression, and probablly change the fuel pressure regulator, and also, try the wrench on the damper. Thanks guys ! We'll tell you the outcome.

TriumphSpitfireFan
I decided to try the van tonight because it was a cold night and I thought maybe the cold would help it, on the second try it puttered for about five seconds then stopped, it didn't purr like a kitten but it was kinda running on its own there for 4-5 seconds.I wondering if that lends a clue.

TriumphSpitfireFan
Hey again, we checked the obd 1 codes and we got a 33 I believe, and the Chilton manual says that is our EGR valve is stuck open, would that, so do you guys know if that would make the van not start? Thanks in advance.

TriumphSpitfireFan