SLIDING DOOR LOCK

1994 Ford Aerostar

Interior problem
1994 Ford Aerostar 6 cyl

The latch mechanism on the sliding door on the van will not flip over and latch. It is the piece on the back side of the door that is supposed to grab ahold of the door when it shuts. I am having trouble finding the part to order because I don't know exactly what I need. Is there a way that I can get it to latch until I find the part? And what part am I actually looking for?
Jomama_20f

Heya, what your actulaay looking for is about a 75 cent spring. It is double armed and is responsible for following the door bar(on body) out as you open the door. When it breaks it will not allow the cog to open anymore then the opening process allows. On that year vehicle even the dealer will not help you. Remove your door latch first, Ya need a large phillips screwdriver, slip joint pliers, needle nose, #2 phillips, #6 flat tip and the window crank will be kinda tricky. Put the knob part down and push the door panel hard towards the door from the inside. Look behind the handle and ya will see a c-clip wanna be. Bend a coat hanger a hard 90degrees in 1/4 inch. Put the end towards you and against the door panel away from the window. You will see that you can HOOK the clip and pull it UP. The rest is common sense. Go to a salvage yard and get the latch used. Good luck Larry

Larry6354