ENGINE RUNS ONLY IN NEUTRAL AND PARK

1993 Ford Aerostar

1993 Ford Aerostar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 144231 miles

my engine died yesterday en route to work. The car has had no trouble or repair in ages. It died when I came to a stop at a red light. It started right back up easily, but died as I shifted into drive. A coworker drove up and pushed me the last two blocks to work, where it now is resting. It starts easily and as many times as you twist the key to start it, but dies within a second of being shifted into reverse or any forward gear. What are the main possible causes (listed in order of probability if possible?)
Pearl99

Bad transmission is the most likely cause since the motor only stops when you engage the transmission.

Mmerlinn
Try holding the gas pedal down 1/4" when you shift into gear. If it stays running, suspect the idle speed solenoid. Another clue is you will not get the normal "idle flare-up" to 1500 rpm when you start the engine if that solenoid isn't working.