ENGINE JUST CUTS OFF

1993 Ford Aerostar

1993 Ford Aerostar 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

MY ENGINE WILL START UP IDLE FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS THEN SHUTS OFF. I HAVE TO LET IT SIT A FEW MINUTES THEN IT WILL START AGAIN AND DO THE SAME THING. WHAT COULD BE CAUSING IT TURN OFF LIKE THAT SO QUICKLY? COULD IT BE THE FUEL PUMP, DISTRIBUTOR, OR IN ONE OF MY RELAYS?
Mac916

Next time it does it don't wait do below immediately to catch it

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

Thanks alot I have seen a blue spark from one of the spark plug wires before when we were trying to start the engine. We are gonna drop the tank and check the fuel pump and EVERYTHING in it. There is a lot of parts to check and change in the fuel tank but your feedback gave us the confirmation we needed. Now we will replace the fuel pump and kit with confidence. Thanks again.

Michelle

Mac916