CAN NOT GET THE CAR STARTED

1973 Fiat Spider

1973 Fiat Spider 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 63000 miles

I have changed out the gas tank and new spark plugs new wires new point's and coil the car won't fire up. I sprade stater flued and gas in the carb and still can't get it to fiire up. I dont know if there is a problam with the timing?
Fairron chadburn

Hi there,

Do you have fuel up to the carby and do you have a spark at the coil, take coil lead out of dist cap and hold near an earth, even just fit a plug on to the coil lead and lay it on the engine and crank over, do you have a good sharp spark?

Mhpautos
I didcheck the ciol and it has spark, I do have fuel to the carb, I also tried push starting and still could not get it to fire up. Thank you for your help.

Fairron chadburn
Remove the spark plugs and clean them,
place a test light on the neg(-) coil terminal and earth the other end, turn the engine over by hand with the ignition on and when the points open the test light will light up, this is when the spark will occur, do this slowly as the timing mark gets to No1 TDC when the light turns on stop and see where the timing mark is, this is called static timing, you can re set the timing and do the test until the timing tights up around 5Deg BTDC, this should be enough to start and set timing running, this will get the timing sorted out so if it does not run after that we will look else where,

Mhpautos