MODELS SQUEEL, SQUEEL, SQUEEL

1977 Fiat Other

Noises problem
1977 Other Fiat Models 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 75,000 miles

There is a big description regarding what has been done to this motor but I will just ask a basic question to keep my 20 page essay away so I don't bore you. I have a 77 Fiat X19 with the 128 in it. Everything was just fine until the " squeel prob" that many ask about has occured. It is the type that does it only on startup. It rarely does it on initial startup but really goes bad after the engine has been warmed up by driving, shut off for just a short time, come back out to start it and it goes nuts just for a few seconds and goes away. I have replaced the belts, the water pump, the alternator, but not the tensioner. I exanged it with the one out of my other Fiat to try that also. Of course it is very hard for anyone to tell what the problem is caused by without seeing it of course, but what is the most common problem with that type of squeel is that it only happens for a few seconds and just stops completely until it is shut off and restarted after it slightly cools down? It doesn't reoccur such as stopped at a light until it goes green and go again. It is only after it has been shut off for a bit and restarted. I'm just frustrated with it.
Muskman

I would replace the tensioner with new and replace the belt with new

Dave H