HARD STARTING WHEN ENGINE IS HOT.

1975 Dodge Truck

1975 Dodge Truck V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 100000 miles

Engine starts right up when engine is cold. But when it's been run awhile and then shut off, it won't start again sometimes until it's cooled down.
Jayedward

What is the symtom? Slow crank? Or no crank?

Merlin2021
I have a 1975 dodge tradesman van. It will start no problem in the morning and run but as soon as its turned off after about an hour of running it will start again but only for a minute or so and then it will cut out and not start again untill its cold. Ive replaced the plugs, plug wires, dist cap, dist rotor and air filter. Im not sure if its the choke not coming off properly and flooding the engine? I will try and disconnect it today. But I ckecked last night when it cut out and I was not getting a spark from the plugs so im not sure if its something to do with the wirinmg or the distributor. Any ideas? Thanks.

Th4rgor
Sounds like the ignition module.

Merlin2021
After I sent the last msg I was able to try a different module that was given to me be a friend. As soon as this was fitted the van would not start at all. So thinking this to be the problem I went and bought a new module.I also bought some wire connectors as there is a wire that runs from the battery to a bolt in the bodywork under the hood (the earth?) That has a connector joining it but it has come loose. I put a new connector on this wire and thought I would test the engine before I put the new module on. The engine would not start. I disconnected the connector tried again and the engine started, I left the engine running and reconnected the wire the engine continued to run? The wiring is a bit of a state, there are wires running everywhere. In doing all this ive now lost the horn and the interior lights? Do you think I have a bad earth or do you think I still need the module replacing. Also if you change the manifold on the right hand bank should I get coolant coming out from the bolt nearest the rear of the engine? Ive heard somewhere that some bolts on 318's pass through water jackets. Thanks for your help.
Steven

Th4rgor
Water runs thru all intake manifolds, there are seals, and RTV is used at the corners. If your wires are that bad thats the first item to be repaired. I assume this is on the negative cable? If it's the positive, don't ground it, it should be going to the starter solinoid, or possibly a fuse link. If the manifold leaks, you will have to remove iit and re gasket and re seal it. Severe vacuum leaks can make for a hard starting condition!

Merlin2021
Sorry should have been more clear in my description. Im talking about the exhaust manifold not the inlet. The bolt on the right hand side nearest the back of the engine leaks anti freeze when removed. I think this is because it passes through a water jacket. I was just checking as when I first took this off I thought that the block had been cracked in some way but after checking on the internet I think this is normal. We blew the gasket on the exhaust manifold but have a new one fitted now and the engine is running fine for the minute. Not fitted new module yet and still have no interior lights or horn. Just waiting for the next time it cuts out and will fit new module to see if this cures the problem. When it comes to finding a wiring fault im a bit clueless as to where to start.

Th4rgor
Yes the wire going to ground is the negative. The positive goes to what I think is a fuse link (small black box, loads of wires, some going through to the dash, some going to the ignition module, some going off into the engine. Any suggestions for a good place to start to find a wiring fault would be really appreciated thanks for your help.

Th4rgor
The black box is the power distribution center, open it up and see if any of you large fuses are burnt.

Merlin2021