BREAKS 2K

2000 Dodge Stratus

Brakes problem
2000 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 87596 miles

Hello guys,

Just want to ask I recently had to change the wheel cylinder on the driver's side rear wheel. I noticed fluid collecting over night in the driveway so I replaced both cylinders. The breaks would not hold pressure after bleeding the breaks. I changed the master cylinder and the breaks worked fine for about three weeks. Now when the car does get driven pressure builds up and locks up the front breaks with out stepping on the breaks. I've bleed the break and come to find out that there is no fluid coming out of the rear break line on the drive side but there was before I changed the master and wheel cylinder.
Canino_rd

This car have 4 wheel ABS? Could be a problem with the ABS system needing to be bled or other problem. Any warning lights in the dash? If the ABS light has come on have it scanned for codes and get back to me

Jack42
Actually the car does not have abs breaks there are no warning signals in the dash for abs and all the break pads and shoes are new there is no leaking in the break line

Canino_rd
Proportioning valve gone bad maybe?

Johnyphantom
So where would I find that

Canino_rd
I would try bleeding the system as a 1st step
start at the master cylinder
and work your way
do rear right front left rear left front right
until air out and you have a good paddle
if you have air in the system its very important to bleed the system before you can condemn any parts
let me know

BMRFIXIT
I have already bled the system. I dont get any fluid from the rear driver's side and the pedal get real stiff to where you can't push it down with out turning on the car

Canino_rd
The only thing I could suggest is to check the brake light switch, this is the only thing I have seen cause this. It is always applying a little pressure on pedal causing the master not to release and when it gets hot the front wheels lock up. Hope this helps

Mastertechtim
Ok
again you need to start at the master cylinder
pump the brakes and hold it down bleed the master cylinder
what we trying to do is to find where the fluid gets and dont get
if you have fluid and all good we say the
mastercylinder is ok (new or not if air in it its not going to do its job)

get a hose open the bleeder at the questioned wheel and connected to it get a 1/2 full brake bottle
and place the hose in it
start the car and pump the brakes (keep eye on the fluid level in the M/C and the bottle )

and if it doesnt work may I suggest power bleeder

BMRFIXIT