HARD TO START.... ONCE WARM RUNS FINE

Dodge Ram

Hi there, I have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 with 5.9L engine and 120,000 miles. The vehicle is only driven 1-2 times per month for 20 -30 miles each time. All of a sudden the vehicle won't start without engine starting fluid. It idles rough for 1-2 minutes and then when it starts to warm up, runs fine. There is no hesitation once it is warm if I stomp the accelerator out on the road so it seems to be getting plenty of fuel. Someone at work mentioned the crank position sensor. No codes in the PCM. Also, what is the difference between the Crank position sensor and the crank angle sensor?

Thank you,
Drew McLendon
Atmclendon

There is no difference. That might not be a bad place to start. Get back to me

Jack42
Jack,

According to my local parts store, I have both on my 97 Dodge Ram, a crank position sensor ($39.99) and a crank angle sensor ($69.99 w/ a core charge)
They also showed me both. The angle sensor is round and and flat 3/4 inch thick and about the same diameter as the distr. The crank position sensor is about the same size as a thumb and has a mounting bracket on the base. Other than a wire harness attached, they are two separate items. Why would the Dodges have both if they are the same thing?
Also, **IF** I can get the truck started would it be beneficial to take it to the dodge dealer? Can they see a fault in these sensors without the check engine light being on?

Thanks,
Drew McLendon

Atmclendon
Chrysler is funny about those, Jeeps use the same one. One is in the dist. Under the rotor. The other in the bell housing

Jack42