04 DIESEL WITH LOUD HYDROBOOST

2004 Dodge Ram

Brakes problem
2004 Dodge Ram 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 50000 miles

I have an '04 Ram 2500 w/ Cummins 5.9L diesel, auto matic 50,000 mile. There is a noise coming from the hydroboost. It gets a little louder when I step on the brakes and sounds kind of like the sound made when you blow across the top of a coke bottle. It's been there now for a couple of months but other than the noise the brakes work just find. To give you a little background, when I bought the truck 15,000 miles ago I had to replace the power steering pump because of a resevoir/pump interface leak. The hydroboost has only started make noise in the last 2,000 miles. Does the noise mean impending failure of the hydroboost or do they sometimes get noisy. (It's not a loud embaressing noise). And if it needs repacement, should I repace it right way to avoid brake failure or can I do it at my convienence?
Northwestdave

The booster shouldnt make any noise. Usually when hydraulic units start making noise, they are on their way out. This may be an internal valve sticking or something to that affect. Im not sure I would wait too long to take care of it if you are in a position to do so.I have seen hydro-boost units fail internally and take out the power steering pump, causing power brake loss as well as power steering loss.

Jack42
Before I started to pull out my hydroboost to replace it, I decided to go to the Dodge dealer. The mechanic said the the sound I was hearing was normal and it should get slightlly louder if the truck is stopped and I apply more pressure. He said I probably had not noticed the sound before. I then took the truck to an independent repair shop and was told the same. I then checked on alldatadiy. Com and they said the sound was normal. Majority rules. So I'm going with thier answer.

Northwestdave